CommIT provides SSL security certificates for website security.
Whether you are an individual or a business, you must address online security the same way you approach physical security for your home or business. Not only does this make you feel safe, but it also protects people who visit your home, business place or website.
It is important to understand the potential risks and to make sure that you are fully protected against them. In the fast-paced world of technology, it is not always easy to keep abreast of the latest advances. For this reason, it is wise to partner with a reputable Internet security company.
IS INTERNET SECURITY RELEVANT TO MY BUSINESS?
Cyber attacks are so common these days that it is no a case of “if” but “when” the next cyber attack may occur. Companies in Singapore lose billions of dollars every year due to lack of security, loss of data and downtime. The impact of cybercrime is expected to increase as businesses become more connected to the Internet and more transactions are processed digitally.
It is vital for companies to ensure that security measures are taken to mitigate the risks of an attack and avoid disruption in business continuity when attacks occur. This helps to:
- Prevent any interruption in your business operations
- Make sure your critical systems and data are protected
- Provide customers with assurance that they can make secure transactions on your website
- Prevent damage to reputation caused by security incidents such as compromised websites or leakage of customer data
- Minimise financial losses from attacks
Running your business website in a secure online environment will help you meet your legal obligations to keep your customers’ information private. In addition, providing online security is essential in risk management in your business and in building and maintaining customer trust and confidence.
Using an SSL certificate and displaying a CA (Certificate Authority) Trust Seal on your website can help you earn the trust of your customers!
CommIT is an authorised partner of the following SSL providers and we offer a wide range of SSL security certificates and solutions uniquely suited to your website:
WHAT IS SSL?
SSL stands for “Secure Socket Layer.” SSL is the web standard for encrypting communications between users and websites. It ensures that all data exchanged between the web server and the browser remains private and secure.
SSL secures the network communication link and it is an important layer of security for sensitive online applications and websites, especially e-commerce stores, as it prevents third parties (unethical hackers) from listening in on communication between the user and the website.
HOW DOES AN SSL CERTIFICATE WORK?
An SSL certificate is a digital computer file (a small piece of code) with 2 functions:
- Authentication and verification – The SSL certificate has information about the authenticity of certain details regarding the identity of a person, company or website. Visitors to your website can view this information when they click on the padlock symbol displayed next to the website’s URL in the browser.
- Data encryption – SSL protocol also performs encryption of data sent to and from the website. This ensures that any sensitive information exchanged with the website cannot be intercepted and/or read by a person other than the intended recipient.
In the same way that your NRIC or passport can only be issued by the Singapore government, an SSL certificate is issued by a trustworthy Certificate Authority (CA). The CA must follow very strict rules and policies in deciding if a website may or may not receive an SSL certificate. This means that if your website has a valid SSL certificate from a trusted CA, there is a higher degree of trust by your customers, suppliers and other business allies and strategic partners.
IS SSL TECHNOLOGY COMMON?
SSL is an industry standard and is the technology used by millions of popular and reputable websites in order to protect their online interactions with their customers. As a user, when you visit a website that is protected by SSL, a padlock icon appears in the browser navigation bar, indicating that the connection to the page is secure, i.e. all data transmitted to the site is via a secure and encrypted channel.
DO USERS CARE ABOUT SSL?
The number of “phishing” websites is increasing at an alarming rate and more and more online users are now wondering whether a website is secure before entering their private information in online forms provided on the site.
SSL makes it possible to protect data transmitted over the Internet between the computers of online users and a wide range of servers they connect to on a daily basis. This data includes their Facebook login credentials, their credit card information when buying online and other important details that they would not wish to reveal to any party other than the site with which they are communicating.
When a user visits a website with SSL security, they know that it is the actual website of the organisation they are trying to connect to and not a fake website created by hackers because they can see the padlock symbol on the navigation bar. In addition, the “HTTP” at the start of the URL (website address) is also replaced by an “HTTPS” indicating that communication with the website is encrypted and secure. If this is not the case, the website may not be genuine and created by hackers or identity thieves, for the purpose of stealing the user’s personal, banking or other confidential information.
With SSL, the transmitted information is encrypted by inserting random characters in the original message, making it illegible for everyone except the intended server. This makes it almost impossible for hackers to steal your information.
Generally speaking, as a user, if you encounter a website that does not have SSL security, you should think twice before sending information to such a website because your communication would not be secure.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF USING SSL FOR MY WEBSITE?
Installing an SSL Security Certificate on your website is essential for the following reasons:
- Increases customer confidence
- Ensures confidentiality of data transmitted via your website
- Protects your customers from online fraud and information theft (phishing)
- Cost-effective, with strong support from CommIT’s SSL experts
- Ensures greater credibility for your website
- Helps achieve higher rankings in Google search results
WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENT TYPES OF SSL CERTIFICATES?
It is important to choose the right certificate that suits your needs, to ensure you avoid any problems or disappointment later. CommIT offers several SSL certificates tailored to your needs. You can choose between different SSL providers and different types of certificates:
- SSL to protect your website
- Extended Validation Certificates (EVs) that display a green address bar in the browser to instantly show that the website is secure
- Wildcard SSL to protect all subdomains of your primary domain name, for example www.mywebsite.com, store.mywebsite.com, shop.mywebsite.com
- Multi-domain certificates to protect different combinations of subdomains and domain names in a single SSL certificate, for example www.mydomain.com, store.mywebsite.com, www.mynewwebsite.com.sg
- SSL Trust Seals
Note: The selection criteria used by certification authorities to determine whether an SSL certificate is to be issued is the most stringent with an Extended Validation SSL (EV) certificate; This makes it the most reliable SSL certificate available.